Short, simple videos answering the most frequently asked legal questions.

What Happens After My Petition Is Filed?

If your spouse is not in agreement, then he or she will be served papers by a sheriff or a private process server. After they get those papers, they have a certain amount of days to file a response. If they do not timely respond, then you are given a judgment by default, meaning, you can go into the court after a certain amount of time, and the judge will grant you a divorce. If your spouse does respond within the time limit, then there’s a court process that could take months or years.

Comments are closed